Whether you are staying far away from home country, living in a multilingual environment or you just want your kids to speak more than one language, raising toddlers to be bilingual can be very important and helpful in making them better than their peers. Factually, teaching toddlers another language can give them a head start in life and also provide them an improved opportunity to succeed. Just like Rome was not built in a day, teaching toddlers another language is a long-term and excruciating process; however, the benefits of the being bilingual are usually worth the efforts for both the parents and the toddlers.
If you would like to raise toddlers to be bilingual, here are some benefits you should consider:
- Speaking two or more languages involves constant switching from the parts of the brain processing one language to another in an effort to choose the right words. This is a good exercise for the brain and it can be very helpful in improving its overall performances.
- The cognitive ability of the brain to select the right words at the right time helps the brain of toddlers to maintain focus even while multitasking. Without doubt, this developed cognitive ability is also put to work whenever the toddler needs to cope with distractions and focus on essential things.
- Since understanding more than one language primarily deals with learning and unlearning different words, toddlers who are bilingual have higher tendency to be more open-minded and less egocentric biased when compared to those who are monolingual.
- Social interaction is usually easier for bilingual kids as they can interact with others that understand the two languages. This gives them a wider range of people to interact with and improves their social skills.
- As bilingual toddlers explore and exercise their brains more than other kids, they are usually more creative than others. These bilingual kids are also often empowered to develop better problem-solving skills.
- Generally, only few toddlers are exposed to more than one language and when they succeed in understanding the languages, they usually grow up with the sense of achieving important milestone at an early stage in life. This positive feeling could serve as a big boost to their cognitive development and may be an enhancement to their self-esteem.
Benefits of using videos to enhance the process of teaching toddlers another language
Although repeated teaching, early start, positive reinforcement and other strategies can help toddlers learn another language fast, teaching them with the aids of visual materials like videos can speed up the rate of learning the languages. Using an interactive video encourages the understanding of more than one language in toddlers. Being engaging and fun-filled, these videos often captivate the attention of these toddlers and ensure that they learn new language in a playful manner. Therefore, when you are teaching toddlers another language, take your time to get interactive videos which can help them learn fast.