Who doesn’t want their baby’s most special birthday, their first, to be as perfect as possible?
However, when it comes down to planning, who truly knows :-
- what to do?
- when to do it?
- how to do it?
But here’s the good news Mum and Dad – we’ve got you covered 🙂
The secret to success is knowing what to do when, so just follow this checklist and baby’s special day will be stress-free and successful!
- Decorations – balloons, banners, streamers, hats, ribbons, confetti, inflatables, chair covers
- Tableware – plates, napkins, cups, cutlery, candles, trays, serving utensils
- Party favours – boxes, bags, candy, games
- Food – cake, cupcakes, appetisers, drinks, ice, snacks, entree, ice cream, grown-up food
- Activities – music, piñata, prizes, bouncy castle, face paint, slides, water pool, costumes, games, photo booth, placemats
- Thankyou notes
3 – 4 months before
- Outfits – Do you want a customised outfit made for baby? Best to design, consult and order AT LEAST 3 months before, there are great boys and girls outfits available online.
- Photographs – Do you want to hire a photographer, or do it yourself? Allow time to find a recommended photographer and decide on requirements.
8 weeks before
- Consider party theme, location and options.
- Think about timings – time of day, how long (most are 2-3 hours)
- Draft guest list.
7 weeks before
- Finalise party theme and location.
- Rent/order any special equipment (tables, chairs, etc.).
- Send invite list (ask if any food allergies).
- Research food, games, decor, activities.
- Consider costumes – will baby wear a special outfit, or will it be a general theme?
- Book entertainment.
4 weeks before
- Work with entertainment on timings, order of events, logistic needs (power/electrics, changing rooms or lights etc.)
- Compile music/playlists/videos.
- Finalise food list (consider allergies), tableware and party supply lists.
- Order cake/cupcakes.
- Order smash cake – speak with supplier for ideas?
3 weeks before
- Buy non-perishable foodstuff, drinks etc.
- Collect tableware, party supplies, birthday favours, gift bags
- Plan activity list
2 weeks before
- Choose party outfits.
- Finalise activity list.
- Ensure everything is in order for food table (tableware, decorations, candles, etc.).
- Finalised planned guest attendance list.
- Print out any documentation, maps, greeting cards etc.
- Collect all decorations.
1 week before
- Double-check RSVP list, invite any extras for declined invitations guests
- Pay deposit and finalise entertainers
- Check cake delivery times and assembly
2 days before
- Double-check all tableware, food, menus, cake are available.
- Purchase any last-minute omissions or oversights.
1 day before
- Pickup smashcake
- Collect ice, flowers, gifts etc.
- Set tables and displays
- Chill drinks
- Check play areas are safe (place down any mats or protective coverings)
- Decorations up – photographs, greeting cards, themes etc.
- Prepare gift tracker sheet – so can thank parents at a later date
- Check music, any electronics (lights, computers etc.)
The big day
- Set up high chair and table/chairs
- Take photos/videos before, with guests, and after party
- Finalise setup of decorations, balloons, food, entertainment and activities
- Prepare an area (away from activities and foods) to safely protect gifts.
After the party
- Clean up after guests
- Send birthday and gift thank you notes
Finally, and most importantly, RELAX !
You’ve succeeded in making baby’s first birthday party a special one 🙂